Skip to main content

Concentric vs Eccentric Contractions for Spiritual Hypertrophy

Bodybuilders and exercise physiologists talk about three different kinds of muscular contractions: isometric, concentric, and eccentric.

In the isometric contraction, the muscle neither shortens nor lengthens; it is static.  In the concentric contraction, the working muscle shortens.  In the eccentric contraction, the working muscle lengthens during the exercise.

Novice trainers often focus exclusively on the concentric phase of an exercise, to the virtual exclusion of the eccentric.

For example, in the barbell bench press, the point becomes to get the weight up to the top of the range of motion at all cost - which is the concentric phase of the exercise.  The pectoral muscles, anterior deltoids, and triceps brachii are all shortening during this phase.

These novice lifters sometimes almost let the barbell free fall back to the starting position, giving very little resistance to its downward motion.
 
But studies have indicated that the eccentric portion of an exercise is more important for hypertrophy (muscular growth) than the concentric phase.

During the bench press, then, this indicates that the lifter should pay special attention to resisting the barbell's downward motion, if growth is the goal.

I imagine that it is really the same in the spiritual realm.  I believe that often the greatest spiritual growth is achieved not when we are victoriously and concentrically overcoming a spiritual burden, but during those times when the weight seems to be advancing  downward against us and, though we resist it with all our might, seems about to crush us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Lunges

Walking lunges have not been tried and found wanting; they have been found difficult and not tried. I borrowed this quote from G. K. Chesterton. Okay, he didn't really say this about walking lunges; he said it about Christianity. But up until 2008, in my case at least, it had been true about lunges, walking or otherwise. Here is what a walking lunge looks like: My coaches cause me to do three sets of twenty per leg, alternating between the left and the right leg. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I've always avoid doing lunges because, as Chesterton noted about Christianity, they are difficult! At first, I couldn't even stay balanced; I would fall over sideways, like the guy does in the second have of this "Goofus and Gallant" walking lunge video. But even after I could stay balanced, cranking out twenty reps per leg was and is very hard for me. Because of the weakness I have ... from avoiding lunges in the past. When I step onstage again in July,...

Hot and Sexy Big ass girls

There are very sexy and cute big ass girls images with very good resolution. visit here and get this nice hot collection with good resolution.    If you like to these images please comments here it is very important to us. Thank you for visiting here.

Upeksha Swarnamali

There are very large image collections of Sri Lankan famous Actress Upeksha Swarnamali with very good resolution. Visit here and download all hot images of Sri Lankan Actress & Models. Upeksha Swarnamali is a very famous actress in Sri Lanka and also She is very Hot & Cute. Now she has married.  And also She was elected as a member of the Sri Lanka Parliament in the 2010 General Elections held on 8 April 2010 representing the United National Party.There are large image collections for understanding her beauty with previous and nearly released images. Starting her carrier as a model, she appeared on several song videos including "Chanchala", and took a major role in the television drama series "PABA". She also participated in the reality dancing show Sirasa Dancing Stars, on 8 June 2008 she was eliminated. She gained national attention due to the controversial removal from the Paba teledrama aired by State run ITN, due to what she claimed as her open support ...